The Haig estate was largely developed between 1930 and 1935. Houses and flats were built to accommodate ex-Servicemen, their widows and families. The photograph above shows the existing buildings and spaces forming the Haig Housing estate in Morden. The whole of the estate lies within a designated Conservation Area.
The northern section of the estate is characterised by developments forming three-sided open courts, onto which the front elevations of the houses generally face. It can be seen from the site plan that establishing these ‘setpieces’ resulted in a series of ‘left-over’ spaces between the rear of the original buildings and the boundary of the site along the railway line. (The ‘Hart Square’ development to the north was added in the 1990’s).
Over time these residual spaces have become occupied by prefabricated garages, car parking and areas of hard standing. Some of the areas are dominated by hard surfaces and car parking, and the clusters of metal garages do not make a positive contribution to the character of the estate.
The southern section of the estate also has ‘set-piece’ courtyard developments, but these are much more loosely arranged over the site plan and mainly away from the principal street elevations, in response to the more mature and established landscape setting of this part of the site.
On the southern part of the estate, the Character Assessment draws attention to the poor landscape quality of the open field opposite Rhodes Moorhouse Court as being a negative feature within the Conservation Area. It recommends that new tree planting be considered to improve this space as well as improved boundary treatments to the adjoining areas.